Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Senior Statement: Tristan Mast



Tristan is a great tennis player. Let me say that again, so that Tristan can hear it. Tristan is a great tennis player. He has strengths that few others have, a big whipping forehand and a low darting serve. This makes him an exceptional doubles player, who can be trusted in a big rally. Tristan also has a personality that others look to, which makes him a great doubles partner as well.

During his time as a Bethany tennis player, Tristan has been in some fabulous matches. Last year, when we played NorthWood, he and Emerson secured a 7-5, 7-5 victory that clinched the match for the team and was so exciting. I’ll also always remember receiving texts about how well he played in the Fremont Invitational his sophomore year, when he won a tiebreak playing singles in the final round. This year, he played his best tennis of the year over the last couple of matches - but I also will remember how well he competed in the scrimmage against a strong Angola doubles team.

Some of my favorite Tristan memories aren’t just on the court. I love how honest Tristan has been over his career about how he’s feeling. He is able to talk to me and let me know why he is upset, but also able to adjust and understand a different point of view. He can be too hard on himself, and often is willing to acknowledge that and try to take encouragement, to see a different angle. But despite holding himself to a high standard, he’s never so difficult on himself that he bounce back and try again. That’s one of the things I’ve really appreciated about Tristan, he’s always faithful in coming back to the work.

And that’s something about Tristan that is amazing, that perseverance... or what I might call faith. My prayer is that willingness to come back, to work, to take on a challenge, leads to great places in his life.

Verse: 2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!