Wednesday, June 8, 2005

2005 - 04 - A Team Divided / United

Hard work always pays off…” Proverbs 14:23
“Put God in charge of your work, and what you’ve planned will take place.” Proverbs 16:3

“Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.” Matthew 12:25

“He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.” Matthew 12: 30

Maybe I should start somewhere else for this. I have a theory, it started long ago when I used to sit the bench for my varsity basketball team as a senior. I call it the Benchwarmer Theory, and someday I am going to research it in detail and write a book about it. I’m that convinced about it. So let me lay it out for you. It’s simple: The most important person on a team is the one who doesn’t get to play.

The basis for this is the elusive quality called team chemistry. By definition, a team is a group that works together, often for a common goal. What defines successful team? What creates a champion team? This is all up for debate, but my theory is obvious.

A SUCCESSFUL, CHAMPION TEAM IS MADE OF MEMBERS WHO ALL HAVE THE SAME GOAL.

That means that if everyone is dedicated to winning a sectional, and one person’s goal is to play #1 doubles, then the Team will be less successful. That means that even if one person’s number one goal is to have the most fun, the team will suffer. Teams that are working against each other cannot stand.

That’s Jesus theory as well, as he points out when he is accused of working for Satan. He makes an obvious observation; but quite poignant, “Every …household divided against itself will not stand.” If our goals and interests are different and divided we will not stand.

This includes people who don’t have goals. You may think that you can get away from being the downfall of the team by not caring about anything, really having no aim. But Jesus sees that as just as dangerous. Look at the other verse, “He who is not with me is against me.” In the context of team, if you are apathetic and not willing to join in the team goal, your actions will work against the team.

This doesn’t mean that we all can’t have secondary goals. But we must have our team goals ahead of our own goals. This is a process of submission, bringing your own desires underneath what is the best for a larger cause. For example, my number one priority this year is to do God’s will. Right behind that is to develop our collective team character. Thirdly, I want to win a sectional match. If in order to win that sectional match we must do something to hurt our team character, then I will have to give up my goal of a sectional win, because the priority is our character.

What are your priorities this year? Do you have any? Are you for or against this team? Do you care?

These are all questions that will decide the level of our success this season. But don’t just focus on our team, where are your goals at when it comes to the Kingdom of God? Do you care? What are you doing to develop this team and further its goals? Take some time and pray about these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!