Thursday, September 17, 2015

Senior Statement - Ethan Lapp

My memories of Ethan begin way back when he was a middle school student coming to Bethany’s Bright Time tennis camps. I knew that he was going to Goshen Middle School, and that he had some ties to the Bethany community, and was thinking about transferring here as a freshman. I wanted him to come so badly because he was so good at tennis.

I had an inkling, but I didn’t know for sure what a great person he is. That has been proven to me over the last 4 years. Level-headed and calm, quiet and thoughtful, he has been a solid presence to the tennis team. I feel that I can always count on Ethan, whether it be to work hard in practice, lead a practice session, or simply to be on time. I know that I can count on him because time and time again he has proven to be a gifted listener. He hears what is said and then puts it into practice. In the Bible, Jesus says that this is true wisdom.

And I believe that God has graced Ethan with great wisdom, that ability to hear and do. My favorite match from this season is still his match at Triton. Down 1-4, we talked at the fence, Ethan heard and processed those words, and put a new strategy into practice. More than his own tennis, he is often one who listens to his teammates worries without judgment and comes up with thoughtful solutions. I pray that he continues to partner with God to serve others by listening patiently and wisely pointing people toward continual growth.

Colossians 3:16-17
Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!