Thursday, September 18, 2014

Senior Statement #4: Jesse Amstutz


Jesse is another senior with an interesting tennis story. He played varsity his freshman year while also playing soccer. I remember one night at practice, while he was serving, that he yelled “I hate tennis!” By the end of the year, I’m not sure that he meant that. Sophomore year though was spent in Paraguay, and when he returned he chose to commit to tennis instead of soccer.

And what a blessing he has been to me as a coach ever since. He has played throughout the summers, almost daily. He has helped me work with the young kids at our Bright Time summer camps, quickly becoming everyone’s favorite (including my own son). He’s led the team this year from the #1 singles spot, but also in trying to get everyone to work hard at practice.

What I love about Jesse is his good heart. He has struggled at times, he has been frustrated, but I often think that is because he desires the good so intensely. Whether that good is how he’s playing tennis or how people are being treated, he is so committed to it. Over his four years here at Bethany, I’ve seen this good come out more and more, in Jesse’s attitude and service. I’m so proud to have see him grow, and can’t wait to see what more God takes him to.

Psalm 37
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Previous Senior Statements
Ryan Duckworth
Sol Brenneman
Hans Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!