Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Senior Statement: Elliot Hertzler Gascho



Elliot joined the tennis team his junior year. I still remember the first meeting he came to because he was interested in tennis. I didn’t yet know his name, because I don’t always interact with high school classes. I got to know him over the past two seasons and summers and he’s been a blessing! Most days on the court he is lighthearted and encouraging. During practice games, it’s fun to watch him belting big forehands and calling out encouragement. This year, it’s been fun to see him take a leading role on the JV and interact with students much younger than him.

My favorite tennis memories of Elliot actually include matches that I didn’t even get to see him play. You see, Elliot is my communicator, always letting me know how things are going when I am away. Last year, I was with the varsity at the Portage tournament while Elliot and Keagan were advancing to the finals of the Fremont JV tournament. Each round I got an excited text from Elliot describing the details of the match and what went well. I loved it. This year, the JV played an away match at Wawasee. Again, Elliot won and he let me know right away, then continued to update me as the match went right down to the wire and his freshman teammate Ethan won in a tiebreak. Elliot celebrated over text with me, and I loved that excitement from him!

This is my favorite thing about Elliot, when he connects and shares his joy with others. I’ve seen him do this in school as an assistant for gym classes. I’ve seen him do this at camp, talking to the younger players and including them. I’ve seen him do this at matches, bringing excitement and energy. I’ve seen him make connections and care for his opponents, being sympathetic and helpful to some of the JV players he’s faced that are just learning the game.

My prayer for Elliot is that he uses this for building community and relationships. We’re grateful for the ways he’s provided that for our team.

Verse: Hebrews 13:16
And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!