Thursday, August 23, 2012
#05 - The Right Direction
The most obvious match to see this improvement in was Abe Thorne's. After losing on Tuesday to a very consistent, non-hard hitting player, Abe dedicated himself to focusing on his mental game and his smaggressive play. Today, matched up against a freshman playing in much the same style, Abe stroked his way to an easy 1st with volleys and well placed topspin balls. In the second set, he faced some adversity as he got down early, 1-2. But riding his early smart ball, he began to angle off the volleys and control his serve, and recovered to not lose another game.
Also grabbing two set wins were Nathan Brendle and #2 doubles, Hans Miller and Joel Gerig. They both played similar matches in that at any point, their opponents would hit amazing shots. But these three just played consistently better. And the #2 doubles victory sealed the match for the Bruins.
#1 doubles played on, but they couldn't quite pull out the victory. Little mistakes in crucial times still seem to bother this team, something we'll iron out as the season goes on. It was a great match.
In the JV, the top positions cruised. #1 and #2 singles and doubles all had easy victories, giving Landon, Tristan and Neel their first victories of the season. The story of the day at all these positions was that we were just more consistent, something that hasn't been able to be said all year to this point. Another step in the right direction!
Notes & Stats
- Nate now has the most varsity victories with 4, Hans also has a winning record at 3- 1. But every player who has played a varsity match this season now has 1 victory (at least).
- Sol Brenneman, Justin Zehr, and Wade Troyer lead into the JV with 2 wins each.
- Nate continued the trend of long matches at Fremont, short ones here at Bethany. What an effort from him tonight, he thoroughly controlled his match.
- The JV match came down to the last team on the court, Delan Schrock and Jacob Rudy-Froese. After losing the first 5 games, they mounted a short comeback and won the next game to go to 1-5, then had a game point to go to 2-5. But they couldn't keep it up, and we lost JV 4-5.
- We won the JV 5-4 last year in a similar circumstance. Neel Bhagat and Luke Schrock won the very last match to seal it for us.
- Tonight was the first time we sang "Sarasponda" on our courts after a win this season. We were shocked to find out that the freshman had never learned this song in choir!
- Our new jerseys came yesterday and we tried them out tonight. Looks like good luck! Check out all their majesty:
#1S - Nathan Brendle - 6-0, 6-1 - Tyler Jenkins (12)
#2S - Ike Lehman - 6-2, 7-6 (5) - Glen McClain (12)
#3S - Abe Thorne - 6-0, 6-2 - Logan Miller (9)
#1D - Himal King/Parth Patel - 6-7 (4), 4-6 - Brandon Miller (12)/Tanner Frye (12)
#2D - Joel Gerig/Hans Miller - 6-2, 6-0 - Mason Kolberg (11)/Drew Sullivan (10)
#1SJV - Sol Brenneman - 6-1 - Mitchel Long (9)
#2SJV - Tristan Clark - 6-0 - Kyle Boekhout (10)
#3SJV - Ethan Lapp - 3-6 - Brandan Arnos (9)
#4SJV - Jack Erlacher - 3-6 - Jeremy Seller (9)
#5SJV - Paul Krabill - 0-6 - Derek Fischer (11)
#1DJV - Wade Troyer/Landon Weldy - 6-0 - Derek Fischer (11)/Jordan Sanderson (11)
#2DJV - Justin Zehr/Neel Bhagat - 6-2 - Hunter Jump (9)/Connor Mchann (10)
#3DJV - Roberto Ramos/Noah Hochstetler - 2-6 - Mitchel Long (9)/Kyle Boekhout (10)
#4DJV - Delan Schrock/Jacob Rudy-Froese - 1-6 - Jordan Sanderson (11)/Jeremy Seiler (9)