Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Seniors: Lane Miller


Lane has been a leader for the team since the time he started as a freshman. Then, he was just a leader and encourager of his class, but he has grown from that. And the appropriate term for Lane would probably be lead encourager, because that is what he is when he is at his best.

I also love Lane’s ability to differentiate time, place, and intensity. In other words, he is one who knows when it is time to work and when it is time to have fun. During practice drills, I can count on him to be working and challenging others to work. During team games, he’s relaxing and encouraging and cheering his teammates on.

By far, my favorite memory of Lane is when we was cheering his team on. It’s probably stuck in my mind because we have a video of it, and also because he often repeats it. But when we won Sectional in Lane’s sophomore year, Lane was so pumped afterward as we sung Sarasponda. At the end of the song, he turned away with fists clenched in joy and yelled, “Wooo!” There was such joy in that.

It also showed that Lane invests in other people. He really does. I know that he has been one to encourage others throughout the season. I remember reading his comments on Facebook last year, directing to a teammate who was struggling at the time, building them up and telling them he was there. He cares about others and has bought into the idea that the season is better if it’s about the team, not just about yourself.

Lane has also had his share of great tennis matches. From his sophomore season with Brandon as his partner, where they almost went undefeated, to pulling out the Westview match last year with Jackson, to his series of third set victories this year with Dustin. No match was as clutch in my mind as the tiebreak victory over Goshen. Not just his incredible overhead return lob winner, but the whole third set Lane where played with confidence.

I pray that confidence in Christ also continues to lead Lane. I believe that Lane has great skills of supporting and leading others, so I pray that he will be a devoted follower of Jesus. Thanks Lane, for your leadership and love.

John 13:12-15
When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!