Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Jim Lyu - Senior Statement

“Rejoice in the Lord always.”

Jim joined our team during his sophomore year at Bethany. Since then, he has been a delight to have on our team. As I watch him, he seems to have an attitude toward tennis that I wish all of my players could have, he approaches tennis with a lot of joy. Every time he gets to go play, it looks like he is having so much fun.

And I see Jim playing tennis a lot. In the mornings this year, as I pull into the parking lot to get ready for the school day, my kids often look out the window and say, “Who is that out at the tennis courts?” And the answer is always Jim and Xudong. They are bouncing around the courts at 7:15-7:30 in the morning, getting some shots in before school. They look like they are having a blast too, really blasting through their forehands and backhands. Jim often has a shy smile for me when I wave at him.

So it has been fun for me to watch Jim succeed throughout this year in many different ways. As he got into practices, it has been good to watch him push and challenge the whole team with his strokes. He has the type of tennis game that can match up with anyone and push them to play better, with his big topspin strokes. It has been good to watch him win more matches this season. In the previous 2 seasons, Jim had only won 2 matches. This season, Jim is already up to 5 wins. He’s doubled his previous total, which shows great improvement.

But it his smile and fist pumps and laugh that I remember the most. His way of saying “Oh yeah” while he’s already starting to laugh a little bit. This makes him easy to play doubles with, and a person that we want to support. Jim has been a very positive person for the team, a teammate who is well liked by everyone.

I am grateful for Jim, his smile, laugh and dedication.

Verse: Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!