Sunday, September 6, 2020

Triton - Match Report

This was a strange match for me in a year of strangeness. Because my kids have been sniffling and sneezing, our doctor thought it best for me to stay away from others until we make sure we just have colds. So rather than coaching, I took a seat far away from the courts and watched from there. The players didn't even know I was there until after their matches finished. And assistant coach Andrew took over the match coaching (and did an excellent job :-)

Varsity Recap
So, from my vantage point leaning against the tires of the Bethany busses, the doubles were hard to see. I arrived just in time to see #2D come off the court. My assumption was that they had won, because they've been on a roll lately. When Austin and Aaron play like they have since the Goshen match, they are going to win a lot of matches. I found out later that it had been 6-0, 6-0.

I could see the #1D scorecard, and it read 5-0 to us. I couldn't tell whether this was first or second set. But I had a good feeling that either way, we were going to take the match. #1D is another position where we've played with a lot of confidence though the year. I'm really excited to see the next step for Joseph and Tyson. Today, it was a simple match that got us a second point.

Which left us needing one of the singles matches. Theo was down 1-4 in the first set. I couldn't read Braden's scorecard, but his body language told me he was down. And Josh's scorecard showed him down 3-4. 

Theo fought brilliantly. After losing the first set, he became more confident in what he was trying to do. He drew his opponent to the net and then hit lobs and passing shots. He came to the net and found opportunities to attack. He changed the contact point of his opponent and therefore forced more errors. He fought his way back in a match where he lost the first set 6-1. I have often told Theo that his biggest strengths are his head and his heart. He figures matches out and never gives up. That was on display again today. And while he couldn't make the full comeback, he will. I can totally see him digging out an important match for us this year, when he doesn't give up and figures out the strategy.

Braden played well, he just played inconsistently. So many times I would watch him make great, confident plays. Then on the next point he would look surprised and flat footed. For Braden, he is going to succeed when he develops belief in himself and carries it from point to point. He has all the tools, and had probably my favorite point of the entire match when he used his strengths to put himself in a great position. I also can't wait for the match where he puts it all together. I think it is coming soon.

But the match ended up coming down to Josh. He was playing an opponent similar to him, very few errors and and a willingness to play long rallies. It was a tight match, trading back and forth games. Just look at the scoreline. After being down 3-4, Josh went up 5-4. Then he was tied at 5. Up 6-5. Then into a tiebreak at 6-6. The tiebreak went back and forth, but no one ever built a lead of more than 2 points. Finally, with the tiebreak at 7-6, Josh watched a forehand sail long and wide to take the set. 

What I loved about Josh all through the tight set was his body language. On Thursday against South Bend Clay, he had really been hustling in between points to keep his energy and focus up. Today it was much the same. In between points he was on his toes and ready. This movement helps focus so much. He was also encouraging and vocal. On big points, he'd let out, "C'mon!" or "Let's go!" It helped him stay positive in a match where it would be tempting to focus on the long points or the errors.

The second set fell into the pattern of the first. Josh took a 2-0 lead, and I was hoping for a quick win. But his opponent won the next to make it 2-1. Then they switched at 3-2, then 4-3. Josh was keeping just ahead, which was great for his comfort. From 4-3, Josh played two great games. In these games, Josh not only kept the ball back but really began to keep the ball low. He would hit high deep balls that were followed with short, low ones. These changes of pace forced errors more quickly. Josh took advantage of the pressure the scoreboard was putting on his Triton opponent and closed out the match with a 6-3 set for the win.

He let out a roar and so did the rest of his teammates. We've had so many close matches this year, with all of our losses being 3-2. So it was nice to swing a 3-2 victory instead. Great job, Bruins!

Andrew's Thoughts on the Match
Starting this season as the volunteer third coach, I was not expecting to find myself responsible for coaching a home varsity match, but all any of us can do in these situations is step forward when the need arises. I was very pleased with the team's response, both in their focus and motivation to win. I expected nothing less, and they did not disappoint.

After the match Cameron jokingly suggested I challenge Matt for the permanent head coach position. Needless to say, that will not be happening, but I appreciated the vote of confidence. Here's hoping Matt returns before Westview has a chance to ruin my perfect win percentage as a varsity coach.

JV Recap
There was no JV contest.

Moments of Joy
This will be a section where I highlight some of my favorite individual moments from the match. Just points that I noticed that were really well played or exemplify what we are trying to teach.

1. Braden Plays to His Strengths
In the second set, Braden began to attack with a bit more consistency. My favorite point was when he combined all his strengths in one point. First, he blasted a backhand cross court. This forced a stretching and weak return from his opponent. Braden moved up and hit a controlled forehand approach shot right into his opponent's backhand. That came back as an unsteady passing shot. Braden quickly closed the net with a angled volley for the winner. All things that Braden does well, all packaged into one great point!

2. Theo's Underarm Serve
Also in his second set, Theo was succeeding by keeping his opponent off balance. In one of his service games, Theo scooped an underarm serve when his opponent was expecting a blasted one. His opponent sprinted forward, just flipping up the ball and leaving it short. Theo put an approach shot right at his feet in the middle of the court, which he was able to get... but it set Theo up for an overhead smash. This variety is a key hallmark of Theo's great play.

3. Josh's Tiebreak
Josh's tiebreak was a thing of beauty. Both players were obviously nervous. But Josh kept finding the shots when he needed them. Instead of being foolish, Josh stuck to his best form of play and put many balls back near the baseline and let the Triton #3 try to figure out how to attack. But again, what was so beautiful was his confidence and energy in the tiebreak. He would move up to return serve or hit the serve himself with his feet bouncing. He would move up quickly, ready to go. This quick movement helped him deal with nerves and stay focused. And the fist pumps helped too!

Moments Together
After the match was over, the guys waved at me over in my spot by my car. Then Aaron Shenk called me and invited me over to participate in the team song. While I couldn't get out and go near, it means so much to me how thoughtful the guys are. Of course, I hope my kids get over their sniffles and I get to return to the court. But I love that all the guys are thinking of creative and fun ways to deal with uncertain and unwanted situations. I sat in my car listening to the victory song, yelling Bruins with them from the parking lot, and loving who these young men are.

A Prayer
Lord, thanks. Thanks for who You are making each one of us. We are Your wonderful creations, and I love the strengths that You have given each of us. Thanks for the encouragement, the support, the head nods and fist pumps, the texts and the shouts. Thanks for the way that You have reached out to us, and the way that we can reach out to one another. May our lives reflect Yours. In Jesus name!

Scores
Varsity: 3-2
#1S - Braden Bohn - 1-6, 3-6 - John Gardner (12)
#2S - Theo Siemens-Rhodes - 1-6, 5-7 - Connor Large (11)
#3S - Josh Cartwright - 7-6 (6), 6-3 - Cole McKinney (11)
#1D - Joseph Mounsithiraj/Tyson Miller- 6-1, 6-0 - Riley Linville (12)/Chandler Westafer (10)
#2D - Aaron Shenk/Austin Shenk - 6-0, 6-0 - Chase King (10)/Damian Kuntz (9)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!