Friday, January 30, 2009

Catching Up on Friday


Catching Up With...a JV Perspective on the 2008 Sectional Championship

"Observing Sectionals" by Ben Mast

The Saturday morning of the Bethany Christian Team of 2008's sectional victory was an amazing day. We all know what happened: Struggle, frustration, worry, against Fairfield, but then finally pulling it out. Easily beating Northwood, playing really well, having a lot of fun, and a sectional victory to top it off.

But I never took the sectional victory as a personal triumph. I struggled all season with this whole not really being on the varsity but still 'being' on the varsity idea (I know some of you know what I mean), and this struggle was even more apparent during sectionals. I celebrated the sectional victory as an observer, not a player. I took absolutely no ownership personally for the victory (which makes a lot of sense) even though often people tried to congratulate me. I didn't do it. I didn't play. Don't try to give me a piece of the victory cake. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous or a little frustrated that my talents hadn't taken me far enough to share in this moment. And my envy tainted my joy of the historical day.

By writing this, I'm being honest. I'm absolutely not intending to take away from the victory. It was an incredible day; an incredible feeling when Mikey and Daniel pulled out the Fairfield win, when Johnny and Jeremy played one of their best matches all year in the sectional championship, when Luke lifted the sectional championship trophy above his head. It was incredible. But it wasn't mine.

Since the season ended, I have been trying to figure out what all this means for me, because next year it could be me playing on a beautiful Saturday morning for a sectional championship. After that Saturday, I worked at trying to learn something from each player that participated in the Sectonal, and this is what I've come up with: Luke taught me to play efficiently, Buschert taught me to never give up, Johnny K taught to yell (and obtain an enormous amount of nicknames), Mikey taught me how to play under pressure, Jonny S taught me the value of mental strenght, Jared taught me the importance of detail, Jeremy taught me how to enjoy victory. The entire varsity team taught me to want to win so badly you ... well, you win. They also taught me what wanting to win looks like: hard work, taking the offseason seriously, and having fun.

So thank you all. It was an honor to play and be on a team with you guys.

Winning the sectional was memorable, incredible for all those observers and players alike. But I want to know what it's like to play in a moment like that - to win in a moment like that.

So let's do it again.

4 comments:

  1. you may not have been in the moment ben, but i think i speak for the team when i say that you definitely helped our team grow as tennis players so that we could win that sectional. i was especially impressed by your dedication to the team while still being in the drama...i'm definitely feeling some victory cake for you guys next year though...with sprinkles on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with luke... but it looks like all i have taught you to do is be obnoxious lol... although that did seem to be an important part of our teams strategy, getting the other team pissed i mean

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've definitely earned the varsity spot that you'll have next year. Many times warming up with you at the Concord Invitational and at Sectionals I wondered whether you wouldn't have done better in my place. Our preseason matches were certainly intense. It would have been easy for you to be mad at me (and maybe you were), but thanks for always supporting me during the season. It meant a lot. Right now I'm still angry about losing to you in volleyball though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sophomore year I was one of the top players that was left off the varsity (Jonny and I were), so I had some of the frustration you had. However, I had my worst record of all 4 years, playing 1 doubles jv, and was constantly frustrated about who I played with. You had 2 years in the the same position, just under varsity, and took it the other way, trying to do the best you can and putting pressure on the varsity players (myself included) to step it up, while encouraging us, which certainly contributed to our success. Next year you will be much more prepared than I was to enter varsity play, and some valuable experience (Northridge, which was a great match, by the way). Thank you for the great attitude, but in the coming 2 seasons, try not to break all my records.

    ReplyDelete

Got some input? Feel free to post below!