Monday, September 11, 2017

Senior Statement: Dustin Miller

Dustin has always been a dominant tennis player. As far as tennis records go, I think Dustin might be one of the most “under-the-radar” great players we’ve had at Bethany. In his two years playing mostly JV, he had a record of 23-5. On the varsity over the last two years, he’s had a winning percentage of 78%, a percentage that would rank him 6th all time at Bethany. This year, he’s been the perfect doubles partner for two players as we’ve rotated the lineup around, trying to find the best way for the team to win.

But as with all of the players here at Bethany, Dustin’s play on the court is not the thing that makes me appreciate him the most. Instead, what I love about Dustin is his earnestness. Dustin shows sincere and intense conviction and effort in the things he commits to.

I have seen that evidenced in so many situations throughout his career. In the first time he was forced to play varsity (before he was really ready) as a sophomore. In our 1:00 AM conversations outside the prayer room last year at tennis camp, about faith and his experiences. In his dedication to succeed with many doubles partners these past two seasons. In an intense drill of crosscourt battles this summer at tennis camp. In his continued dedication to the team in the time since his injury.

It’s the word “battle” that sticks out to me with Dustin. When I drill against him, he is one of the few players who doesn’t get intimidated when I hit the ball hard. He is one of the few players who takes an aggressive swing against me. One of the few to beat me in my “unbeatable” game of “One Man War.” He doesn’t back down from things, he sticks with it, he wrestles and finds a way to win. It reminds me of the Old Testament story of Jacob, who spent a night tussling with God and wouldn’t give up. In the morning, God gave him the name Israel which means “wrestles with God.” I pray that this aspect of Dustin’s life continues to be an emblem of his faith as well. That he will wrestle with God, and be faithful to Christ’s call on his life.

Psalm 73:26, 28
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever...
as for me, it is good to be near God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some input? Feel free to post below!